Mother’s Day is fast approaching. Whether you’re having guests over or just trying to do something nice for the moms in your life, plenty of meals are likely to be prepared on Sunday, May 8.DelGrosso Foods, Inc. has the perfect solution to make Mother’s Day a success: recipes inspired by Grandma Murf’s Italian Style Meatballs, part of the legendary sauce-makers’ La Famiglia DelGrosso line of ultra-premium, all-natural Italian-style food products.
DelGrosso family matriarch Mafalda “Murf” DelGrosso created her recipe for succulent, baked meatballs in the 1940s for hungry guests of DelGrosso’s Café in Altoona, PA. Generations later, la famiglia has not changed a thing, and for good reason. Murf’s all-natural recipe stands alone as the premier, Italian Style Meatball.
Spice things up for mom and the whole clan this Mother’s Day with new, original dishes that are sure to become big hits at family reunions for years to come.
Everyone loves pizza. Everyone loves meatballs. Combine the two and what you’ll come up with is a must-have pie that everyone in the family will agree is a knockout.
1 12” pizza crust
1 cup La Famiglia DelGrosso Pappy Fred's Old Style Pizza Sauce
6 La Famiglia DelGrosso Grandma Murf's Italian Style Meatballs
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup shredded provolone cheese
¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
· Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
· Thaw six meatballs and cut them into thirds.
· Cook meatballs in the sauce on medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
· Remove meatballs with a fork, shaking off excess sauce into the pan, and set aside.
· Use the sauce from the pan and spread evenly to the outside edge of the pizza crust.
· Sprinkle mozzarella and provolone cheeses over the sauce.
· Place the meatball pieces on top of the cheese, spacing them evenly apart.
· Bake pizza according to crust package directions (typically 450 degrees for 10 minutes).
· Remove pizza from oven.
· Let cool for two minutes then garnish with fresh basil.
· Cut into eight slices and serve.
Notes: You can make your own dough, purchase dough and roll it into a crust or, for a shortcut, buy ready-made pizza crust. As you cut each meatball into thirds, you will have two pieces that are curved on the top and one piece that is flat, so place them on your pizza in a way that makes it pleasing to the eye.
Class things up with these adorable “martinis” that everyone from Grandpa Saul to little Cousin Sally can – and will – enjoy.
20 La Famiglia DelGrosso Grandma Murf's Italian Style Meatballs
20 - 2oz. mini Martini glasses (available at most party stores)
20 Castelvetrano pitted olives
20 cubes provolone cheese
1 jar La Famiglia DelGrosso Uncle Joe's Vodka Celebration
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
· Cook the meatballs in Uncle Joe's Vodka Celebration on low heat for one hour. Stir every 10 minutes to prevent sauce from burning.
· Place an olive and piece of cheese at the end of each skewer.
· When meatballs are finished cooking, set aside for approximately 15 minutes.
· Spoon a small amount of vodka sauce into each martini glass.
· Insert a meatball onto the bottom of each olive and cheese skewer.
· Place each meatball skewer into a martini glass.
· Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and serve.
Note: Serve meatball martinis within 30 minutes of preparing so the meatballs are still warm.
No party is complete without tasty hors d'oeuvres. These fun-sized bites offer the perfect crunch to enjoy before a large and delicious family meal.
1 bag La Famiglia DelGrosso Grandma Murf's Italian Style Meatballs
1 jar La Famiglia DelGrosso Chef John's Tomato Basil Masterpiece
½ cup Italian seasoned panko bread crumbs
2 Tbsp. dried basil
Fresh basil leaves for garnish
· Place meatballs and sauce in small pot on medium heat.
· Bring meatballs and sauce to a boil; then cook on low for at least 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
· Remove meatballs from pot and place on a plate for 5 minutes to release steam and to decrease the temperature of the meatballs.
· Place panko in a small bowl and mix in the dried basil.
· Remove 3 Tbsp. of the panko basil mixture for garnish and set aside.
· Roll each meatball in the bowl of panko and basil mixture until completely coated.
· Prepare serving platter by sprinkling the reserved 3 Tbsp. of the panko basil mixture on platter to garnish.
· Spoon a small amount of sauce on top of the panko and basil garnish in 12 different areas of the platter, one for each meatball.
· Place panko crusted meatballs on top of sauce.
· Garnish with fresh basil leaves.
· Serve with skewers.
Note: For added flavor, add ¼ cup grated Parmesan to the panko and basil mixture.
La Famiglia DelGrosso is a line of ultra-premium, all-natural Italian-style food products from DelGrosso Foods, Inc., including Cousin Joe Joe’s Sloppy Joe Sauce and Grandma Murf’s Italian Style Meatballs. (814)684-5880. www.delgrossos.com