The European Union and Wines of Germany Present the 6th Annual Riesling Week
The European Union and Wines of Germany present the sixth annual Riesling Week, July 26 – August 1, 2010. During the week, restaurants and wine retailers across the nation will celebrate Riesling from Germany, as well as from Austria and Alsace, as the perfect complement to any warm-weather meal. Restaurants in New York, San Francisco, Chicago, Las Vegas and Miami will offer European Riesling specials, including by-the-glass selections, dedicated Riesling flights, and food-pairing menus. Wine retailers will also host European Riesling tastings in participating cities.
Over 100 top restaurants and retailers in New York, San Francisco, Chicago, Las Vegas and Miami have signed on to promote European Riesling during this national promotion. To celebrate, here are Wines of Germany’s totally biased and non-scientific top ten reasons for enjoying European Riesling:
- Because temperatures are over 90 degrees Fahrenheit in most of the U.S. and Riesling is the perfect white wine to cool you down.
- Because it complements summer food favorites ranging from light salads and fruit to grilled fish and hot dogs.
- Because you should raise a glass to Germany for making it so far in the 2010 FIFA World Cup. (And skimp on the Rioja, while you’re at it!)
- Because you’ll learn to appreciate what “minerality” means in relation to drinking wine.
- Because it comes in a variety of styles – from super dry to unctuously sweet.
- Because it’s the beverage equivalent of diving into a cool, mountain creek on a hot summer’s day.
- Because it matches with all the white linen and seersucker you’re wearing this summer.
- Because you’ll get a little taste of Europe without having to suffer 7 hours in coach.
- Because your palate will revel in the amazing balance of sweetness and acidity in every sip.
- Because it’s another excuse to grab a drink with good friends and loved ones.
The Riesling Week promotion is part of the “Destination Riesling” campaign, underwritten by Wines of Germany and the European Union.
Miami Restaurant Participants include:
- AZUL (Mandarin Oriental Miami Hotel)
- café sambal (Mandarin Oriental Miami Hotel)
- Ortanique on the Mile
- Palme d’or Restaurant
- Emeril’s Miami Beach
- W Wine Bistro
- OLA Restaurant at the Sanctuary Hotel
- Michael’s Genuine Food & Drink
- Bourbon Steak
- Wish Restaurant
More information can be found at www.destinationriesling.com/week.