2 large green plantains
2/3 cup vegetable oil
Salt to taste
- Peel the plantain. Cut the ends off each plantain with a sharp knife. Use the knife to cut through the peel only the entire length of the plantain. Loosen the peel along with the cut and remove the peel by hand.
- Cut the plantain into slices, about 2 inches wide.
- Fill a large skillet with the oil and heat until it reaches 300 degrees. Once the oil is hot, fry the slices in batches for about 3-5 minutes total just long enough to make them soft.
- Remove the plantains and drain them on paper towels. Using a heavy spatula, plantain press or a brown paper bag that is folded over, smash the plantains to about half their thickness.
- Let the oil temperature come back up, this time to a hotter 375 degrees. Fry again until golden on both sides. Remove to paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and serve hot.
Recipe Credit: Robyn Webb