- 1 medium mamey
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
- 2 cups mango, pureed ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup plain low fat yogurt ¼ cup chopped fresh mint laves
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk 1 tablespoon rum extract
- To prepare the mamey: Peel the mamey with a sharp knife. Carefully dice about 1 cup of mamey into “crouton” sized cubes; cover and refrigerate, reserving for garnish.
Place the remainder of the mamey flesh in a food processor. Puree with milk until smooth. Add the mango puree and pulse together. To prepare the soup: In a large bowl, whisk together the mamey mixture, yogurt and coconut milk. Season with lime juice, chili powder and cumin, then mix in the mint and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
To serve: Ladle the soup into 4 large bowls. Divide up the mamey cubes into each bowl of soup and float 1/4 teaspoon of rum extract on top of each bowl.
Author credit: by Jean Meadows and Mary Jo Oswald. Family & Consumer Sciences University of Florida / IFAS Sarasota County Extension