Les Dames d’Escoffier Miami is marking the 100th anniversary of Julia Child’s birth by presenting a series of events on Saturday, September 15, 2012, commemorating the "Lady of the Ladle’s" commitment to gastronomy, education and philanthropy. Net proceeds will benefit the Les Dames d’Escoffier Miami Legacy Awards, which gives professional experiences to young women studying Culinary Arts, Hospitality, Gastronomic Journalism and Food Agriculture. Breakdown of events follows:
In Classroom #9301; 3rd Floor
• 10:30 am – Noon: “From Julia Child’s Kitchen to Yours” with Chef Michelle Bernstein; $60 per guest; seating is limited to 30 attendees.
In the Auditorium; Room #1261
• 1:00 – 2:30 pm: “Backstage with Julia” featuring Nancy Verde Barr, author of, Backstage with Julia, My Years with Julia Child; $30 general admission; $10 for all students. Following her seminar Verde Barr will sign copies of her book, available for purchase at $14.95 each.
• 3:00 – 4:30 pm: Media Evolution: From “Mastering the Art of French Cooking” to “Tweeting for Your Supper;” $30 per guest.
Julia’s Birthday Bash
• 5:00 – 7:00 pm: Join us for a cocktail party to celebrate Julia’s 100th birthday. The evening will feature small plates and sweets crafted by the talented MCI Chef’s Council and friends, festive libations and live music. Attendees are also invited to participate in the culinary/travel-themed silent auction. Tickets are priced at $75 per person.
An American in Paris
• 7:30 – 10:00 pm: Chef Norman Van Aken will host an intimate dinner party at TUYO Restaurant, atop of the MCI Building, serving a delicious, five-course, Julia-inspired menu. Menu items will include an Amuse-Bouche of Torchon of Foie Gras and Mousseline de Poisson; a Julia-approved Tamal; Homard á L’Américaine; the iconic Boeuf a la Bourguignonne; and Julia's favorite dessert, Reine de Saba, an almond chocolate cake. Bon Appetit! Tickets are priced at $150 per person; space is limited to 70 seats.
To purchase tickets, contact Claire Tomlin at (305) 775-2165 or online at www.lesdamesmiami.org.
Miami Dade Culinary Institute, Wolfson Campus is located at 415 Northeast 2nd Ave in Miami.
Miami Dade College Auditorium is located at 300 Northeast 2nd Avenue, Room #1261 in Miami.
The Freedom Tower is located at 600 Biscayne Blvd. in Miami.
Tuyo Restaurant is located at 415 Northeast 2nd Avenue in Miami.
Follow Les Dames d’Escoffier Miami on Twitter: @LesDamesMia and join the conversation at #JC100.
Host Sponsor: Miami Culinary Institute, Miami Dade College, Wolfson Campus
Title Sponsor: Whole Foods Market – Florida
Event Partner: HandCraft Wines
Event Supporters: California Figs, Delverde Pasta, Lucini Olive Oil, The Market Company
Event Friends: Nespresso, Roland, Sweet Art by Lucila, Dame Sandy Witmer
Media Sponsors: Books & Books, edible South Florida, Southern Beverage Journal, South Florida Gourmet, Food & Wine Talk
Event and Media Contact:
Susan Weinstein, firstname.lastname@example.org; (305) 895-3400
Les Dames d’Escoffier Miami is an invitational organization comprised of distinguished women leaders in food, fine beverage, hospitality and food farming. Founded in 2000 by 14 charter members, the Miami chapter is now empowered by more than 50 accomplished South Florida women. We are dedicated to “Improving nutrition, education and quality of life in our community.”
Offering professional wisdom to female students pursuing careers in culinary arts, hospitality, gastronomic journalism and Florida food agriculture. LDE Miami’s Local Legacy Awards, will be bestowed in the following categories: culinary arts journalism confined to gastronomy and farm-to-table topics, hospitality/pleasures of the table and Florida food agriculture/farming. Awardees will be mentored one-on-one by Miami Dames or other professional Friends of Dames for a period of one week in what promises to be a rewarding and enriching experience for both the mentor and mentee. Each local Legacy winner will also receive an educational monetary scholarship.
Founded in 1980 in Austin, Texas, Whole Foods Market (wholefoodsmarket.com, NASDAQ: WFM), is the leading natural and organic food retailer. As America’s first national certified organic grocer, Whole Foods Market was named “America’s Healthiest Grocery Store” by Health magazine. The company's motto, “Whole Foods, Whole People, Whole Planet”™ captures its mission to ensure customer satisfaction and health, Team Member excellence and happiness, enhanced shareholder value, community support and environmental improvement. Thanks to the company’s more than 69,000 Team Members, Whole Foods Market has been ranked as one of the “100 Best Companies to Work For” in America by FORTUNE magazine for 15 consecutive years. In fiscal year 2011, the company had sales of more than $10 billion and currently has more than 325 stores in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom.