Beat The Heat – Things to Do with Kids in South Florida this Summer
Summer fun has just begun! School’s (almost) out for the summer and do you know all the FUN family happenings around South Florida? Beat the heat and take the entire family to enjoy these fun-filled places – all summer long!
- Museum of Contemporary Art, North Miami (MOCA)
- Gulfstream Park
- CityPlace Doral
- Las Olas Oceanside Park (The LOOP)
Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA), North Miami
770 NE 125th Street, North Miami, FL 33161
Due to an overwhelming response, MOCA is thrilled to extend its exhibition “My Name is Maryan” until October 2, 2022. Curated by Alison M. Gingeras, the exhibition is a monographic presentation of four decades of paintings, sculptures, drawings and film by the iconoclastic, ground-breaking Polish-born artist Maryan. Drawing upon new scholarship and a trove of never-before-exhibited works, “My Name is Maryan” is the first retrospective to holistically examine all periods of Maryan’s life and work. After closing in October, the exhibition will then travel to Tel Aviv.
Other family programming includes:
- Sunday Stories – Join MOCA on the first Sunday of every month for MOCA Sunday Stories’ story time, followed by a DIY early childhood art project. Sponsored by the North Miami Community Redevelopment Agency, this early childhood art series engages toddlers and fosters reading, motor skill development and socialization. MOCA Sunday Stories is a great way for children to bond with their parents or guardians as they create together.
- MOCA miniMakers – MOCA miniMakers, offered on the first and third Saturday of the month, is MOCA’s free and inclusive series of art workshops for children ages 6 and up. Children will have access to a variety of art techniques, as well as an inclusive curriculum incorporating step-by-step guides, STEAM activation and creative free play. Taught by experienced artists and sponsored by the North Miami Community Redevelopment Agency, MOCA miniMakers aims to foster an accessible spirit of learning through the arts.
About the Museum of Contemporary Art North Miami
MOCA North Miami presents contemporary art and its historical influences through exhibitions, educational programs, and collections. Inspired by its surrounding communities, MOCA connects diverse audiences and cultures by providing a welcoming place to encounter new ideas and voices, and nurturing a lifelong love of the arts. MOCA developed from the Center of Contemporary Art which was inaugurated in 1981. The establishment of the permanent collection coincided with the institution’s move into their current building designed by Charles Gwathmey of GSNY in 1996.
8300 NW 36th Street, Doral, FL 33166
- Marina Kids – Marina Kids is magical indoor park offering a playground, soft-play, VR motion station, arcade, PS4/Nintendo Switch Station and entertaining fun games that lets children’s imagination run wild in a safe, fun and friendly environment. Parents can take advantage of “Super Fun Drop” service as they dine and enjoy the entertainment CityPlace Doral has to offer while their children play.
- CMX CinéBistro, Doral – CMX CinéBistro is a world-class “dinner and a movie” concept. It offers an elevated movie-going experience for the entire family to enjoy with amenities such as reserved seating in cozy, over-sized reclining leather seats, full-service in-theatre dining and 4k digital projection and 7.1 surround sound. Guests have the opportunity to enjoy chef-crafted American Bistro cuisine, fine wines and signature cocktails served in an environment like no other.
- Kings Dining & Entertainment – Kings offers families a memorable and unique dining and entertainment experience. It boasts a restaurant-first approach with amazing dishes from its chef-driven, award-winning kitchen in a classic retro environment. Kings sets itself apart with timeless social gaming including Ten Pin Bowling, Billiards, Shuffleboard, Air Hockey, Foosball and more.
- Sloan’s Ice Cream – Sloan’s Ice Cream is a whimsical ice cream wonderland for the young and the young at heart. Relive the excitement of being a kid in a candy store with Sloan’s locally handmade super premium ice cream with no added artificial flavors and colors, fresh baked brownies and cookies, succulent dipped apples, exquisite selection of bulk candies, and an exciting array of toys and merchandise.
CityPlace Doral has partnered with Doral Contemporary Art Museum (DORCAM) to offer guests and the local community arts and cultural initiatives throughout spring and summer including two free pop-up exhibitions.
“Fashion Power” (Suite 123) | Open through July 12, 2022, Open Daily, Times Vary
Fashion Power is a group exhibition that includes works by Barbara Hulanicki, Octavio Aguilar, Lisu Vega and Celia Ledón.
“Urban Art” (Suite 150) | Open through July 12, 2022, Open Daily, Times Vary
Urban Art is presented in collaboration with David Rosen Galleries and Naif International Gallery. Featured artists include Marcos Varonese, Jordi Mollá, Domingo Zapata, Angelina Roma, Penny Boyd, Sebastián Castella, and Giuseppe Ferlito.
About CityPlace Doral:
CityPlace Doral is an attractive leisure destination offering a collection of memorable dining, shopping, wellness and entertainment experiences. Featuring 250,000 square feet of retail space, CityPlace Doral is a master-planned, mixed-use development nestled in the dynamic employment center of Doral in the heart of Miami-Dade County. CityPlace Doral combines the vision of world-renowned architects, designers and artists creating the next crown jewel of prosperous dining, entertainment and upscale shopping in one of South Florida’s growing cities. CityPlace Doral includes more than 40 dining, shopping and entertainment destinations for all palettes and walks of life, and the property’s entertainment retail component is anchored by a roster of first-class tenants from all over the country.
901 South Federal Hwy, Hallandale Beach, FL 33009
- Village Green play area – Located in the center of Gulfstream Park Village, kids can enjoy the simple pleasures of the Village Green play area. It is a perfect place to run free and enjoy some fun in the sun.
- Strike10 Bowling – For the action-seeking crowd, Strike 10 Bowling offers bowling, billiards and arcade fun for groups or families with delicious dining options.
- PlugIN Karaoke – For those looking to let loose, PlugIN Karaoke features private rooms that are great for happy hour, a night out, or a birthday party. Call them at 844-475-8446 to reserve a room now!
- Color Me Mine – Feeling creative? Color Me Mine pottery painting is both a romantic and creative date-night favorite as well as a fun activity for kids.
- Live Horse Racing – Guests of all ages can enjoy daily racing at Gulfstream Park. Admission to races is free and high season brings the industry’s top jockeys and horses to high stakes races.
- Häagen Dazs – Layer on the fun and stop over at Häagen Dazs for an ice cream cone or another refreshing treat.
About Gulfstream Park:
Gulfstream Park is South Florida’s premier entertainment destination, located between Miami and Fort Lauderdale, anchored by the legendary Gulfstream Park racetrack. Gulfstream Park not only offers world-class Thoroughbred horse racing, but is also home to an exciting array of adult and family-friendly venues including over 15 restaurants, outdoor cafes, nightclubs, two casinos, art galleries, fashion retailers, sports bars, state-of-the-art bowling alley, and a renowned selection of signature home stores. Newly-added venues include Color Me Mine, and PlugIN — with 18 private karaoke rooms, and an upcoming expansion will include a luxury movie theater. Gulfstream Park is located at 901 South Federal Highway in Hallandale Beach, Florida, just two miles east of I-95. Valet service and complimentary self-parking are available. Gulfstream Park is open seven days a week. For hours, schedules, upcoming events and additional information, visitwww.gulfstreampark.com or call 954-454-7000.
Las Olas Oceanside Park (The LOOP)
3000 East Las Olas Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
The LOOP invites the community and their furry companions to the Movies by Moonlight “Dog Days of Summer” series on the fourth Friday of the month, July 22, Aug. 26 and Sept. 23. The night of four-legged fun is hosted by the dynamic mom and pup duo, Ana and Teddy, behind the award-winning Instagram @TourwithTeddy and blog “Living A Fairytail.”
Locals and visitors of all ages are encouraged to bring lawn chairs, blankets, and a favorite movie date to the main lawn at Las Olas Oceanside Park. Come early to dine at one of Fort Lauderdale Beach’s restaurants or bring a picnic for dinner under the stars. All movies begin at sunset.
Movie snacks and drinks are available to purchase onsite; limited chairs and picnic blankets are available to borrow. As part of LauderDEALS, Visit Lauderdale’s summer savings campaign, guests attending will receive complimentary bottle of water with any candy or popcorn purchase. All pre-registered children under the age of ten will received a complimentary bag of popcorn courtesy of WE Florida Financial Credit Union. Pet Hydration Stations from PetWell Clinic Fort Lauderdale and Pembroke Pines are also available.
Feature films include:
- Friday, July 22, 7:45 p.m. | Dog Days (Rated PG)
- Friday, Aug. 26, 7:30 p.m. | Best in Show (Rated PG)
- Friday, Sept. 23, 7:30 p.m. | The Secret Life of Pets (Rated PG)
About The LOOP
A cornerstone of activity, The LOOP (Las Olas Oceanside Park) is the central hub of the new $65 million, four park system at the heart of Fort Lauderdale Beach. The public greenspaces, including the Intracoastal Promenade, Las Olas Beach Garage Sunset Terrace and DC Alexander Park aim to provide infinite experiences for everyone under the sun, and year-round activity in Fort Lauderdale’s oceanfront backyard. Through its four pillars “FAME,” The LOOP offers a variety of special events, activities, and uniquely local experiences for all including holiday happenings, farmers markets, community workouts, and more. The LOOP also includes an
interactive water feature/splash pad that both children and adults can enjoy. As part of its commitment to the environment, the City of Fort Lauderdale partnered with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission on dual-light fixtures that use amber lighting during sea turtle nesting season. The park’s artificial turf covering requires no watering. The LOOP is projected to generate $7.4 million in tourism dollars through recreation and events in 2022. For more information, visit theloopflb.com or contact [email protected]